Monday, June 16, 2008

Thank You, Mr. Derek

I should have posted this last week, but I'm not sure I could have.

Two Sunday's ago, we had an awesome Journey meeting. The purpose was to share fall plans with our current team. I opened with the question of "If someone asked you why you serve in Journey, what would you say?" We heard lots of great testimonies about how God has used us in the lives of these kids and how He has often taught us more than the kids.

I then asked "Ten years ago, how many of you would have guessed that you would be serving in children's ministry?" I'll never forget Derek Rogers' response. From the corner of the group, he said, "Not in a million years." I laughed and said, "But you love it, Derek." He said, "I love it."

I heavily recruited Derek's wife Jill to join our Journey team. When she agreed to serve every other week in youngner kids art, she brought Derek along. One of those recruited husbands. I was thrilled to hear him say in our meeting that he was loving serving.

The following Friday Derek went home to be with Jesus.

The next day when I went to see Jill her first words were, "Jenny, he wanted to teach next year."

The following Sunday, Tim, Gene and I went from class to class. I wish we had videotaped the Peace group's reaction as we talked about Derek. The whole circle of 2nd graders smiled as they recounted his magic tricks and joked. "He was so funny," they said. All of the kids signed the art door. They wrote comments such as "Thanks for being our teacher", "We'll miss you", and my favorite: "Congrats on getting to Heaven".

It is wild to realize that less than a week after that meeting Derek was standing in front of Jesus and receiving his rewards for serving our kids. We talk all the time about receiving our rewards in Heaven, but so often it is such an abstract thought. One of our own is there right now. I know, as far as Journey was concerned, Jesus said "Well done" to Derek. I am humbled by that.

Jill, we love you. We love your family. Our hearts are broken with yours. But thank you for bringing Derek to us. Thank you for volunteering him to come with you to teach art of all things. Thank you for allowing our kids to be ministered to by him. Thank you for bringing him mto our team. None of us will be the same.

Thank you, Mr. Derek. Thank you for being willing to serve. Thank you for making us laugh. Thank you for loving our kids and creating the fun environment that we want. Thank you for helping them create memories. Our team is better because you were on it. I am better for having served with you. We love you.

No comments: