Monday, June 16, 2008

Look all around and you will see His POWER!

What an incredible VBS week. We had 750 elementary kids registered and averaged about 650. When we added in all the youth workers, adult leaders, and preschoolers, our numbers were over 1200. That is incredible.

I love VBS weeks for many obvious reasons... lots of kids are experiencing God, lots of money is raised for missions, lots of children give their life to Christ. All of those are awesome things. But none of that would take place to the magnitude that it does without the power of God working through volunteers. I think it would be safe to say that VBS is our largest volunteer venture of the year at Westwood. There is great power in the church body being focused in prayer and manpower for one event.

Thank you to Kathy and Vivian and the set-up team for the incredible decorations. I know it took lots of work and lots of time. Thank you for setting the stage (literally) for kids to have a blast learning about God.

Thank you to Michelle and the registration team. We teased you about having those envelopes beside your bed at night, but your hard work and diligence paid off. I heard comment after comment about how smooth everything was and how there was no tension in the air. That is in large part due to your determination to have everything as organized as possible. GREAT WORK! I need you in my world.

Colleen, words can not express our gratitude for you. I wish my brain worked like yours. :) Like I said for Michelle, your organization was the other half of the peace that hovered over VBS week. You are incredible. Thank you for all of your hard work.

Cyndi, Mary Jane, Cammie, Cherry, and Stu, thank you for leading each of your teams. Each area of VBS is critical and I appreciate your dedication to making it the best it could possibly be.

Carol, thanks for the yummy snacks!

Frankie, thank you for being my rock and my friend. I said it on Thursday and I meant it... I could not do what I do without you. You keep me straight and steady and you really make me laugh. ("He's coming!")

Preschool workers, thank you for loving our babies. And thanks for not growling at me when I was the last one EVERY day. Kaylie and Brenna thank you.

Crew leaders, I had challenged you to be the children's ministers for the week. You did it. All 56+ of you. Thank you for pouring into the kids.

Dr. David - thanks for helping me be able to talk again.

Virginia, you are the hardest working woman I have ever seen. I know it was a hard week on you. You and your childcare team made it possible for 50+ (or was it 2,000 like you said on Monday) to come to VBS who would have not been able to. Thank you for your servant's heart and for your friendship.

Ronda and the Special Touch team. thank you for providing a great experience for all of our kids.

Last, but certainly not list, thank you to Bre and Marsha. I am so thankful that God has brought both of you into my life. I enjoy partnering with you in ministry, but even more I enjoy the friendship He has blessed me with. Thank you both for taking so much off of me and for running with this thing. The successes that God blessed us with were much more because of you than because of me. He used both of you in incredible ways to touch so many children. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I know I've missed people and I'm sorry. I'm out of words now. :) Thank you, Jesus, for an incredible week.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marsha said...

jen,
i could not have said it better. i am always amazed by those who serve. michelle said it best, "grace oozes from you!" your comitment and love for the children at westwood amazes me. you are always positive, always forgiving and always teaching. you deliver the gospel to children in a way that is so easy for them to understand. favortie moment when you were praying with children to accept christ and yo could hear a pen drop. then all the sweet little voices began praying with you. thank you for doing HIS work.
marsha